Fried Calamari with Spicy Mayonnaise
Sriracha, a spicy Thai chili sauce, is typically made from sun-ripened chile peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt. Substitute your favorite hot sauce.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha or Thai garlic-chili sauce
- 1 pound fresh calamari (tubes and tentacles), rinsed and sliced into rings
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- Vegetable oil
- Stir together mayonnaise and Sriracha in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
- Soak calamari in buttermilk; chill at least 1 hour. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Remove calamari from buttermilk, and dredge in flour mixture. Shake off excess, and separate rings and tentacles.
- Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 365°. Fry calamari, in batches, 1 minute or until done. Drain on paper towels, and serve warm with spicy mayonnaise.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers