Fried Calamari with Spicy Mayonnaise
Sriracha, a spicy Thai chili sauce, is typically made from sun-ripened chile peppers, vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt. Substitute your favorite hot sauce.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha or Thai garlic-chili sauce
- 1 pound fresh calamari (tubes and tentacles), rinsed and sliced into rings
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- Vegetable oil
- Stir together mayonnaise and Sriracha in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
- Soak calamari in buttermilk; chill at least 1 hour. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a medium bowl. Remove calamari from buttermilk, and dredge in flour mixture. Shake off excess, and separate rings and tentacles.
- Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 365°. Fry calamari, in batches, 1 minute or until done. Drain on paper towels, and serve warm with spicy mayonnaise.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note