Fried Buffalo Oysters
Selects are fairly large shucked oysters--the perfect size for frying.
More From Southern Living
Chill: 2 Hours
Fry: 3 Minutes
- 2 pints fresh Select oysters, drained
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Ranch dressing
- Celery sticks
- Combine oysters and buttermilk in a large shallow dish or zip-top plastic freezer bag. Cover or seal and chill at least 2 hours. Drain oysters well.
- Combine flour and the next 8 ingredients. Dredge oysters in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch in a Dutch oven; heat to 370°.
- Fry oysters, in batches, 3 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Stir together melted butter, hot sauce, and lemon juice. Pour butter mixture evenly over hot fried oysters. Serve oysters with Ranch dressing and celery sticks on the side.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note