- 2 pints fresh Select oysters, drained
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 4 French bread rolls
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
How to Make It
Combine oysters and buttermilk in a large shallow dish or zip-top plastic freezer bag. Cover or seal and chill at least 2 hours. Drain oysters well.
Combine flour and the next 8 ingredients. Dredge oysters in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch in a Dutch oven; heat to 370°.
Fry oysters, in batches, 3 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
Split rolls. Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise evenly on cut sides of rolls. Place 1/4 cup lettuce and one-fourth of Buffalo Oysters on bottom halves of rolls; cover with roll tops.