- 16 Brussels sprouts (about 12 oz.), trimmed and outer leaves removed
- Canola oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño chile, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup crema Mexicana or sour cream
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup very thinly sliced or grated carrots (2 large carrots)
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Hot sauce
- Lime wedges
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Cut Brussels sprouts into quarters.
Pour oil to a depth of at least 3/4 inch in a Dutch oven. (Oil should be just deep enough to submerge Brussels sprouts.) Heat oil over high to 325°F. Add about half each of the Brussels sprouts, shallot slices, and jalapeño slices to hot oil. (Do not overcrowd Dutch oven.) Fry, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer fried Brussels sprouts, shallots, and jalapeños to prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Transfer baking sheet to preheated oven to keep warm. Repeat process with remaining Brussels sprouts, shallots, jalapeños, and salt.
Place 1 tablespoon crema on each warmed tortilla; spread to edges of tortilla. Top tortillas evenly with Brussels sprouts mixture, carrots, radishes, and cilantro. Serve with hot sauce and lime wedges.