Fried Avocado Tacos
"Tacos: Cookbook author thinks outside the tortilla for variety of recipes." by Michael Hastings. Recipe adapted from "Just Tacos" by Shelley Wiseman, former Gourmet food editor, senior editor for Fine Cooking magazine, and co-author of "The Mexican Gourmet" with Maria Dolores Torres Yzabal. Recipe makes enough for 12 tacos. Recipe published in the Winston-Salem Journal: January 4, 2012.
- 3 to 4 cup(s) vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup(s) (8 ounces) beer
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3 firm-ripe avocados, quartered, pitted and peeled
- 1 cup(s) flour
- Warm corn or flour tortillas
- Lime-Chipotle Mayonnaise
- 1. Heat the oil in a 4-quart pot of a wok until a deep-fat thermometer registers 360 degrees.
- 2. Put the beer in a wide bowl and stir in the salt. Put the flour in another wide bowl.
- 3. Cut each quarter of avocado into 3 long wedges and dunk the wedges first in the beer, then turn them gently in the flour to coat.
- 4. Transfer about 6 avocado slices at a time to the oil, and fry until a light-golden crust forms, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Fry more avocado slices in the same manner until all slices have been fried.
- 5. Make tacos with three slices of avocado, warm tortillas, cilantro and lime-chipotle mayonnaise.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note