Fried Almond-crusted Jack
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 390
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 17g
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 8.9g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Sodium: 410mg
- Cholesterol: 72mg
- 1 baguette (8 oz.)
- 1 wedge (about 3/4 lb.) dry jack cheese
- About 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 3/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1. Cut baguette into 1/2-inch-thick slices and lay in a single layer in a 10- by 15-inch pan. Bake in a 350º oven until golden, about 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, with a knife or vegetable peeler, cut off and discard dark coating on cheese. Set cheese wedge on a flat side and cut 6 to 8 triangles of equal thickness.
- 3. Place flour, egg, and almonds on separate plates. Coat each cheese slice with flour, then egg, then almonds. Lay slices in a single layer.
- 4. Set an 11- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add salad oil and olive oil. Lay the cheese slices in pan without crowding, and brown the slices on each side, 10 to 12 minutes total. With a wide spatula, transfer browned cheese to warm plate. Spoon cheese onto toast slices and eat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note