Wow!! Me and my family love this!! I made a few changes due to affordability: I Instead of Morels I used the shiitake and only 2 oz ( in the end I added some fresh baby Bella's to ensure plenty of mushrooms) next time I'll just use baby Bella's . I doubled the bacon, increased wine to 1 cup increased heavy cream to 13/4 used red potatoes with skin on and used only thighs. Didn't use leeks or shallots but used green onions. ( to me this made the dish a little lower cost and taste was out if this world! Did extra tarragon ( unique flavor so see what you like first)
Fricassee of Chicken with Cream and Morel Mushrooms
This earthy chicken stew features dried mushrooms, new potatoes, leeks, bacon and fresh herbs for a savory, satisfying one-dish meal.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dried morel mushrooms (or other dried mushrooms)
- 8 skinless chicken thighs (or a combination of legs and thighs)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 slices smoked bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 3 baby leeks or green onions
- 1 pound fingerling or new potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Heat chicken broth in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Clean morels by rinsing thoroughly with hot water; add to broth. Turn off heat, and let morels soften. Drain mushrooms through a fine sieve, reserving stock, and set stock and mushrooms aside.
- 2. Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crispy and fat is rendered. Add chicken, and cook 15 minutes, turning once, until browned. Add wine, reduce heat to low, and cook 10 minutes.
- 3. Remove chicken, and place in a slow cooker. Add reserved stock to skillet, and deglaze by stirring to loosen particles from pan. Add cream, and bring to a boil. Add mustard, and whisk to blend.
- 4. Scatter shallot, baby leeks, potato, garlic, and reserved morels around chicken, and pour cream mixture over chicken and vegetables. Add pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or on LOW about 5 hours or until tender. Stir in fresh herbs, and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note