I prepared this recipe last night and my husband loved it. I didn't have all the called for ingredients so I improvised. I only had 1/2 cup of whipping cream so I added 1 cup of plain yogurt and 1/2 cup of sour cream. I used 12 skinless thighs instead of 8. I only had 1 green onion so I added 1/2 chopped white onion and I used 8 garlic cloves. I didn't have any bacon so I substituted with real bacon bits.i used regular large mushrooms (about 3 cups sliced). And just because I had it, I added yellow zucchini, peeled and cut in 1 in chunks. I placed the zucchini on top as I knew they would cook too fast in the sauce, The chicken was very tender and moist. The sauce was not too heavy making the dish quite tasty. We will be having the leftovers for dinner tonight.
Fricassee of Chicken with Cream and Morel Mushrooms
This earthy chicken stew features dried mushrooms, new potatoes, leeks, bacon and fresh herbs for a savory, satisfying one-dish meal.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dried morel mushrooms (or other dried mushrooms)
- 8 skinless chicken thighs (or a combination of legs and thighs)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 slices smoked bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 3 baby leeks or green onions
- 1 pound fingerling or new potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Heat chicken broth in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Clean morels by rinsing thoroughly with hot water; add to broth. Turn off heat, and let morels soften. Drain mushrooms through a fine sieve, reserving stock, and set stock and mushrooms aside.
- 2. Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crispy and fat is rendered. Add chicken, and cook 15 minutes, turning once, until browned. Add wine, reduce heat to low, and cook 10 minutes.
- 3. Remove chicken, and place in a slow cooker. Add reserved stock to skillet, and deglaze by stirring to loosen particles from pan. Add cream, and bring to a boil. Add mustard, and whisk to blend.
- 4. Scatter shallot, baby leeks, potato, garlic, and reserved morels around chicken, and pour cream mixture over chicken and vegetables. Add pepper and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or on LOW about 5 hours or until tender. Stir in fresh herbs, and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note