I thought these were very easy and tasted excellent. I made as directed, except that I mixed the dough in my food processor. I thought they tasted better the first day, but still good on day 2.
Fresh Whole-Wheat Pitas
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 211
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 7g
- Carbohydrate: 39.9g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 225mg
- Calcium: 11mg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (100° to 110°)
- 10 ounce bread flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 4.75 ounces white whole-wheat flour (about 1 cup), divided
- 2 tablespoons 2% Greek-style yogurt (such as Fage)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1. Dissolve sugar and yeast in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add bread flour, 3 ounces (about 3/4 cup) whole-wheat flour, yogurt, oil, and salt to the yeast mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining whole-wheat flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- 2. Position the oven rack on the lowest shelf.
- 3. Preheat the oven to 500°.
- 4. Divide dough into 8 portions. Working with one portion at a time, gently roll each portion into a 5 1/2-inch circle. Place 4 dough circles on each of 2 baking sheets heavily coated with cooking spray. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, at 500° for 8 minutes or until puffed and browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note