- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 1 cup shelled fresh black-eyed peas (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/4 cup bacon drippings
- 1 small cabbage, finely shredded
- 6 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, scraped and sliced
- 6 pods fresh okra, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 hot red pepper pod, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
How to Make It
Break tips from beans and remove strings; cut beans into 2- inch pieces. Wash thoroughly in cold water; drain. Place beans, peas, and drippings in a large Dutch oven. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, for 1 hour.
Add remaining ingredients; cover and cook over low heat 1 hour and 50 minutes or until vegetables are tender.