- 1 whole garlic head
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium-sized yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 plum tomatoes, quartered
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-ounce) loaf French bread
- 1/3 cup (1.3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- calories 273
- fat 6.9 g
- satfat 3.7 g
- protein 12.5 g
- carbohydrate 41.4 g
- cholesterol 14 mg
- iron 3.0 mg
- sodium 585 mg
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- fiber 3.5 g
- calcium 259 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 475°.
Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Place in center of a large baking sheet or shallow roasting pan. Arrange zucchini and next 4 ingredients around garlic; spray vegetables with cooking spray. Bake at 475° for 15 minutes, and turn vegetables with a spatula. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned and tender.
Spoon vegetables and pan juices into a bowl. Separate garlic cloves, and squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins. Stir garlic pulp into vegetables. Stir in vinegar and next 4 ingredients; toss gently. Let vegetable mixture stand 10 minutes.
Split French bread in half lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side using a serrated knife. Spoon vegetables onto bread; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 475° for 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut into 4 equal pieces. Serve immediately.