This is one of my favorite recipes ever! It is VERY time consuming though, so making the Marinara sauce a few days ahead is the way to go (and it gets a richer flavor too). I shorten the time of the veggies in the oven to 10 minutes max., otherwise they were too soggy. And I can never make the 4 layers of pasta that it calls for... too high for the baking dish walls, so I pack just 3 layers with more yumminess :)
Fresh Vegetable Lasagna
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Amy Burke
More From Southern Living
Other: 3 Hours, 14 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 282
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 19.9g
- Carbohydrate: 28.8g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 837mg
- Calcium: 456mg
- 4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium-size yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 5 cups Basic Marinara Sauce
- 1 (8-oz.) package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Bake zucchini, mushrooms, and garlic in a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray 12 to 14 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring halfway through. Repeat procedure with bell peppers and onion. Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Toss together vegetables and salt in a bowl.
- 2. Stir together ricotta, egg, 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
- 3. Spread 1 cup Basic Marinara Sauce in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with 3 noodles, 1 cup sauce, one-third of ricotta mixture, and one-third of vegetable mixture; repeat layers twice, beginning with 3 noodles. Top with remaining noodles and 1 cup sauce. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella and 1/4 cup grated Parmesan.
- 4. Bake, covered, at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Note: We tested with Ronzoni Oven Ready Lasagna.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles