Fresh Tomato-Basil Soup
Want to make good use of that bumper crop of fresh tomatoes, without resorting to canning? Look no further than this fabulous, simple recipe for fresh tomato soup from Ina Garten. Though Garten instructs to run the stovetop-tender tomatoes through a food mill, I had great luck with just my food processor. Even better? An immersion blender.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 5 large vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely choppe
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Red onions, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 Unpeeled carrots, chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 5 Large vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh basil, plus a few whole leaves for garnish
- 3 Cups vegetable sock
- 1-1 1/2 Tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 Tablespoons freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 Cup heavy cream
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- 1. In a large, heavy pot over medium-low heat, heat oil. Stir in onions and carrots and cook until very tender, 10-15 minutes. Stir in garlic and saute for an additional 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, tomato paste, vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Turn the heat to medium-high, bring to a boil, and lower the heat and simmer until the tomatoes have become very tender, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream.
- 2. Run the soup through a food mill, if you have one, and discard the dry pulp leftover. If you don’t have a food mill, puree the soup in either an immersion blender or food processor. Return the soup to the pot, and gently reheat until just hot. Garnish with basil and serve.
- Recipe Adapted From: Ina Garten.
- Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/fresh-tomato-basil-soup-recipe.html#ixzz2h41CbupU
This recipe is a personal recipe added by acrane and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Fresh Tomato-Basil Soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews