Fresh Strawberry Shortcake
When time is short, use split biscuits, cubed angel food cake or waffles for a speedy version of strawberry shortcake.
Yield: Serves 8
- 1 qt. strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, seperated
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Optional: fresh mint sprigs
- Gently toss together strawberries and 1/2 cup sugar; chill.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Combine milk and egg yolks; mix well. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Divide dough in half; pat into two greased 9" round cake pans.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites at medium speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; spread over dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 300° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool completely.
- Place one cake layer on a large serving plate; spread with half the whipped cream. Spoon half the strawberries over cream. Repeat layers. Garnish with mint, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Fresh Strawberry Shortcake Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Cakes/Frostings
- PUBLICATION: Gooseberry Patch
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings