Fresh Strawberry Meringue Cake from Southern Living
Securing parchment paper with masking tape (it won't melt at the low temperature) makes it easy to spread picture perfect layers of meringue.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup(s) chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 cup(s) sugar divided
- 7 egg whites room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cream of tartar
- 2 (8oz) container(s) mascarpone cheese
- 2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 3 cup(s) whipping cream
- 4 1/2 cup(s) sliced fresh strawberries
- halved fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 10 to 12 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Remove from oven, and cool completely (about 10 minutes). Reduce oven temperature to 250 degrees.
- 2. Cover 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Draw 2 (8-inch) circles on each piece of paper. Turn paper over; secure with masking tape.
- 3. Process cornstarch, salt, toasted pecans, and 1/2 cup sugar in a food processor 40 to 45 seconds or until pecans are finely ground.
- 4. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating at medium-high speed until mixture if glossy, stiff peaks form, and sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes; do not over beat). Add half of the pecan mixture to the egg white mixture, gently folding just until bended. Repeat procedure with remaining pecan mixture.
- 5. Gently spoon egg white mixture onto circles drawn on parchment paper (about 1 1/2 cups mixture per circle), spreading to cover each circle completely.
- 6. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, turning sheets after 30 minutes. Turn oven off; let meringues stand in closed oven with light on 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until surface is dry and meringues can be lifted from paper without sticking to fingers.
- 7. Just before assembling cake, stir together mascarpone cheese and vanilla in a large bowl just until blended.
- 8. Beat whipping cream at low speed until foamy; increase speed to medium-high, and gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. (Do not over beat or cream will be grainy.) Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture.
- 9. Carefully remove 1 meringue from parchment paper; place on a serving plate. Spread 1/4 mascarpone mixture (about 2 cups) over the meringue; top with 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries. Repeat layers 2 times; top with remaining meringue, mascarpone mixture and halved strawberries. Serve immediately, or chill for up to 2 hours. Cut with a sharp, thin-bladed knife.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Fresh Strawberry Meringue Cake from Southern Living Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts