Awesome sauce! I used bean sprouts instead of broccoli, left out bell pepper, added cilantro and cellophane noodles to rolls, and shredded carrots.
Fresh Spring Rolls with Dipping Sauce
Randy Mayor; Jan Gautro
Fresh spring rolls are packed with shrimp and crisp colorful vegetables such as carrot, bell pepper and cucumber. Fresh ginger and lime juice contribute to the flavor of the dipping sauce.
Yield: 6 appetizer servings (serving size: 2 rolls and 2 teaspoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 101
- Calories from fat: 7%
- Fat: 0.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 7.8g
- Carbohydrate: 16.8g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 418mg
- Calcium: 40mg
- Dipping Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon chile paste with garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Spring Rolls:
- 12 (8-inch) round sheets rice paper
- 3 green leaf lettuce leaves, quartered
- 3 cups fresh broccoli sprouts or alfalfa sprouts
- 36 (2-inch) julienne-cut carrot strips
- 36 (2-inch) julienne-cut cucumber strips
- 36 (2-inch) julienne-cut yellow bell pepper strips
- 24 medium shrimp, cooked, peeled, and halved lengthwise
- 36 fresh mint leaves
- To prepare sauce, combine first 7 ingredients, stirring with a whisk until sugar dissolves; set aside.
- To prepare spring rolls, add hot water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in dish; let stand 30 seconds or just until soft. Place rice paper sheet on a flat surface. Arrange 1 lettuce piece in center of sheet. Top with 1/4 cup sprouts, 3 carrot strips, 3 cucumber strips, 3 bell pepper strips, 4 shrimp halves, and 3 mint leaves. Fold sides of sheet over filling; roll up jelly-roll fashion. Gently press seam to seal. Place spring roll, seam side down, on a serving platter (cover to prevent drying).
- Repeat procedure with remaining rice paper, lettuce, sprouts, carrot, cucumber, bell pepper, shrimp, and mint. Serve with dipping sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note