I cut the sugar by about half and still found this recipe a bit sweet. I also didn't understand the butter, but the end result was good. Instead of the vanilla bean, I used two teaspoons plus a dash of vanilla extract. I would add another half teaspoon to teaspoon if I make it again.
Fresh Peach Ice Cream
Chill: 8 Hours
Stand: 30 Minutes
Freeze: 2 Hours
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 3/4 cups half-and-half
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 large peaches, peeled and sliced (about 3 cups)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon peach preserves
- 1. Combine 3/4 cup sugar, egg yolks, and whole egg in a medium bowl. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean, and add seeds, pod, and half-and-half to saucepan. Warm over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until mixture begins to steam. Do not boil. Slowly whisk into egg mixture. Return to saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 minutes or until mixture coats back of a spoon. Whisk in butter and cream. Let cool, and chill 8 hours.
- 2. Toss peaches with remaining 1/2 cup sugar and salt; let stand at least 30 minutes in a glass or stainless bowl.
- 3. Puree peaches and peach preserves in a blender until well combined but not completely smooth. Combine peach and custard mixtures, and freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note