Fresh Homemade Butter (and Buttermilk)
Thomas J. Story
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 101
- Calories from fat: 100%
- Protein: 0.1g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrate: 0.0g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 1.5mg
- Cholesterol: 31mg
- 2 cups heavy cream (preferably not ultra-pasteurized)
- Fine sea salt
- 1. Whirl cream in a food processor until it separates into buttermilk and clumps of butter-they'll look like fluffy scrambled eggs. Keep whirling until butter forms bigger clumps, about 3 minutes.
- 2. Pour mixture into a strainer (set over a bowl if you want to keep the buttermilk) and let drain briefly. Squeeze butter to extract remaining buttermilk (it's okay if a little is left).
- 3. Put butter into a second bowl and stir in fine sea salt to taste, if you like.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per Tbsp. butter.
- PER 1/2 CUP BUTTERMILK: 75 cal., 20% (15 cal.) from fat; 6 g protein; 1.5 g fat (1.2 g sat.); 9 g carbo (0 g fiber); 193 mg sodium; 7.5 mg chol.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sauces/Condiments