These are really good. I double the recipe for my family of four, and I get 16 (2") cakes. I pulse the corn kernels, but leave the green onions as is. I agree that they are a bit bland. I would suggest either adding more salt or cheddar cheese. I made them with cheddar cheese last night and they were awesome. I put a pat of butter on them as soon as they come out of the pan, and they are heavenly with the melted butter. I make them dairy free for my kids (bc of an allergy), and my 2 year old ate 5 of them.
Fresh Corn Cakes
Dress up these cakes with salsa and sour cream and serve as an appetizer. They're also delicious as a side dish, simply smeared with butter. Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes.
Yield: Makes 16 cakes
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 63
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 1.5g
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrate: 0.0g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Sodium: 0.0mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. In a blender or food processor, pulse corn and green onions until chopped but not smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in 2 tbsp. oil and the egg yolks.
- 2. In another large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Add to corn mixture and mix thoroughly but gently.
- 3. In a large clean bowl, whisk or beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into corn mixture.
- 4. In a large frying pan, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, drop large spoonfuls of the corn mixture into pan (do not spread or flatten). Cook until edges begin to set and undersides are browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until cakes are browned and cooked through. Cook remaining batter the same way, adding oil as necessary. Serve hot.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Fresh Corn Cakes Recipe at a Glance