Fresh Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh coconut, divided
- 1 baked (9-inch) pastry shell
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a heavy saucepan; stir in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot milk mixture into yolks; add to remaining hot milk mixture, stirring constantly. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add butter and vanilla. Cool. Stir 2/3 cup coconut into cooled filling. Pour filling into pastry shell; chill overnight.
- Beat whipping cream until foamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Spread over pie: sprinkle with remaining coconut.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note