Fresh Basil Julep
Place a cocktail straw near the basil sprig garnish so you sniff the fragrance of basil as you take a sip.
Yield: Makes 1 serving
More From Southern Living
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon Basil Simple Syrup
- Crushed ice
- 2 tablespoons (1 oz.) bourbon
- 1 (4-inch) cocktail straw
- 1 fresh basil sprig
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- 1. Place basil leaves and Basil Simple Syrup in a julep cup or an 8- to 10-oz. glass. Gently press leaves against sides of cup with back of a spoon to release flavor. Pack cup tightly with crushed ice; pour bourbon over ice. Insert straw, and place basil sprig directly next to straw. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select Bourbon.
- Fresh Mint Julep: Prepare recipe as directed, substituting mint leaves for basil leaves, Mint Simple Syrup for Basil Simple Syrup, and 1 small fresh mint sprig for basil sprig.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Beverages