Fresh Asparagus Soup
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups soup and 5 tsp. sour cream mixture)
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 163
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 10.4g
- Carbohydrate: 19.8g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 439mg
- Calcium: 190mg
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 2 cups low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind, divided
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Garnish: fresh thyme sprig
- 1. Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus. Cut into 2-inch pieces.
- 2. Combine asparagus, broth, onion, garlic, and 1/2 tsp. thyme in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Process asparagus mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to pan.
- 3. Whisk together flour and milk until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture to asparagus mixture, whisking until blended. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring constantly, 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter, salt, 1/4 tsp. lemon rind, and remaining 1/4 tsp. thyme.
- 4. Combine sour cream, lemon juice, and remaining 1/4 tsp. lemon rind. Top each serving with about 5 tsp. sour cream mixture. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: Freeze soup after Step 3 for up to 1 month. When ready to serve, thaw, reheat, and continue with Step 4.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This