YUMMO! This was fantastic with browned butter frosting! A new staple in our house! This would be fantastic with no icing and just some good vanilla ice cream as well!
Fresh Apple Cake
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Amy Burke
More From Southern Living
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples (about 4 large), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- Browned-Butter Frosting,
- Dark Chocolate Frosting, or
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- 2. Stir together butter and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl until blended.
- 3. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, stirring until blended. Stir in apples and 1 cup pecans. (Batter will be very thick, similar to a cookie dough.) Spread batter into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 45 minutes). Spread your choice of frosting over top of cake; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup pecans.
Note: Total time does not include preparing frosting.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings