I wish we were able to find the Scotch bonnet peppers, but we have a poor selection at our grocery store so used fresh jalapenos from the garden instead. Served with rice and grilled zucchini and squash. The sauce just drives it home. We will definitely make this again.
French West Indian Grilled Snapper with Caper Sauce
Here's how fish is served at the open-air cook shacks lining the beaches of Guadeloupe. The marinade features the four essential seasonings of the French West Indies: lime juice, garlic, fresh thyme, and Scotch bonnet chiles. This recipe calls for snapper, but any firm white fish will work. We left the seeds in the pepper, but you can omit them for a milder flavor. This is great with Rice and Pigeon Peas.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 246
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 35.4g
- Carbohydrate: 2.8g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 63mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 425mg
- Calcium: 63mg
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 to 2 Scotch bonnet or habanero peppers, minced
- 4 (6-ounce) red snapper or other firm white fish fillets
- Caper sauce:
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced Scotch bonnet or habanero pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- Cooking spray
- To prepare marinade, place first 6 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Combine marinade and fish in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 2 to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Prepare grill.
- To prepare caper sauce, place cilantro and next 10 ingredients (cilantro through shallot) in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Remove fish from marinade, discard marinade. Place fish on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with caper sauce.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note