French Toast with Poached Pears, Walnut Ice Cream, and Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3 firm Bartlett pears
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 (3/4-inch-thick) French baguette slices
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Walnut Ice Cream
- Caramel Sauce
- Garnishes: fresh mint sprigs, pesticide-free pansies
- pesticide-free pansies
- Bring 1/2 cup sugar and wine to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Peel and core pears; cut in half. Add to wine mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until pears are crisp-tender. Transfer pears and poaching liquid to a bowl; cool completely. Cut each pear half into 6 wedges; return to liquid. Cover and chill.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and next 4 ingredients. Dip each bread slice into the spiced egg mixture.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add half of the bread slices, and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove from skillet, and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon butter and bread slices.
- Drain pears. Serve French toast slices with pears and Walnut Ice Cream. Drizzle with Caramel Sauce; arrange mint and pansies on each plate, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
French Toast with Poached Pears, Walnut Ice Cream, and Caramel Sauce Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch