Got an absolutely delicious from my husband this morning. Can't wait to try it on my grandchildren. The apples were just right I did sprinkle cinnammon on it rather than powdered sugar. By chopping up the bread and mixing with the apples it would make a great bread pudding. Keep these great recipes coming.
French Toast with Maple-Apple Compote
Sweet Pink Lady apples hold up well to being sautéed for the compote. Liberty, Fuji, or Jonagold apples would also work. Substitute Hawaiian bread if challah isn't available.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 pieces toast and about 1/3 cup compote)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 370
- Fat: 12.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 11.3g
- Carbohydrate: 55.3g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 185mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 427mg
- Calcium: 146mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups sliced peeled Pink Lady apples (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- French toast:
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 (1-ounce) slices challah bread
- 4 teaspoons butter
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 250°. Place wire rack on a baking sheet and place in oven.
- 2. To prepare compote, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray; melt 1 tablespoon butter in pan. Add apples to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Keep warm.
- 3. To prepare French toast, combine granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add milk, vanilla, salt, and eggs; whisk until well blended. Working with 1 bread slice at a time, place bread slice into milk mixture, turning gently to coat both sides.
- 4. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt 1 teaspoon butter in pan. Add 3 coated bread slices; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Place on rack in oven to keep warm. Repeat procedure three times with cooking spray, remaining 3 teaspoons butter, and remaining 9 coated bread slices. Serve French toast with compote. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch