"Sometimes I got to eat French toast on the couch. In our house that was special, since we had a formal dining room and usually dressed for dinner. The toast came on a tray, and I was a queen," says Chava Lee of the Silverbow Inn and Restaurant in Juneau, Alaska.
Sunset JANUARY 1998
1. In a shallow bowl, whisk to blend eggs, egg whites, milk, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
2. Lightly mist a 10- by 15-inch nonstick pan with cooking oil spray.
3. Soak bread thoroughly on each side, a few pieces at a time, in egg mixture.
4. Place slices slightly apart in a single layer in baking pan.
5. Bake in a 500° oven until toast is golden on bottom, about 5 minutes. With a wide spatula, turn slices over and bake until other side is browned, about 3 to 4 minutes longer. Transfer hot French toast to plates.
6. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, drizzle with maple syrup, and serve with orange wedges, squeezing juice onto toast.
Go to Full Version of