- 1 1/2 pounds meaty beef bones
- 1 pound beef shanks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large onions, vertically sliced (about 13 cups)
- 1 1/8 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 12 (1/2-ounce) slices French bread baguette
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded (about 1 cup, packed)
- calories 346
- fat 14.1 g
- satfat 5.9 g
- monofat 6.2 g
- polyfat 1.2 g
- protein 16.1 g
- carbohydrate 40.5 g
- fiber 5.3 g
- cholesterol 33 mg
- iron 2.3 mg
- sodium 649 mg
- calcium 274 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°.
To prepare stock, arrange first 5 ingredients in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 35 minutes or until browned. Scrape beef mixture and pan drippings into a large Dutch oven. Stir in 3 quarts cold water and next 4 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 2 1/2 hours, skimming surface as necessary. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve lined with a double layer of cheesecloth over a bowl; discard solids. Wipe pan clean with paper towels.
To prepare soup, return Dutch oven to medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Melt butter in oil. Add sliced onion to pan; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and ground pepper; cook, uncovered, until deep golden brown (about 35 minutes), stirring frequently. Add reserved stock and chopped thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 8 cups (about 50 minutes). Stir in chives.
Preheat broiler to high.
Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan, and broil for 2 minutes or until toasted, turning after 1 minute. Ladle 1 1/3 cups soup into each of 6 broiler-safe soup bowls. Top each serving with 2 bread slices, and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Place soup bowls on jelly-roll pan, and broil for 4 minutes or until tops are golden brown and cheese bubbles.