French Onion soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter
- 5 medium onions (a mix of yellow and red is ideal), sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cup(s) low-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup(s) dry red wine
- 4 or 5 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 4 slice(s) baguette or sourdough bread
- 1/2 cup(s) shredded Swiss cheese
- *Heat the butter in a large pot over low heat. Add the onions and salt. Cover the pot and cook the onions and salt. Cover the pot and cook the onions over low heat until very soft and caramelized, about 30 minutes. (Most of this is unsupervised. Check on the onions every 10 minutes or so and stir.)
- *Add the bay leaves, broth, wine, and thyme (if using). Simmer on low heat for at least 15 minutes. Season with pepper. Discard the bay leaves.
- *Preheat the broiler. Divide the soup among 4 oven-proof bowls. Top each with a slice of baguette and some cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 3 minutes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by JanJan0219 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
French Onion soup Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews