- Caramelized onions
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) fat-skimmed chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (3 in. each)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices baguette (about 2 by 4 in. and 1 in. thick)
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyère cheese
- calories 265
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- protein 11 g
- fat 6.6 g
- satfat 2.6 g
- carbohydrate 41 g
- fiber 3.9 g
- sodium 430 mg
- cholesterol 11 mg
How to Make It
In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir onions and balsamic vinegar often until liquid is evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add broth, thyme, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally to blend flavors, 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, place baguette slices in a single layer on a 12- by 15-inch baking sheet. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until lightly browned on top, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn slices over and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
Remove thyme and bay leaf; ladle soup into bowls. Serve with toasts.