French Onion Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 medium-size white onions, thinly sliced (about 3 pounds)
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken broth
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans beef consommé, undiluted
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 (3/4-inch-thick) French baguette slices
- 6 (1-ounce) Swiss cheese slices
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onions, and cook, stirring often, 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add chicken broth and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Remove and discard herbs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into 6 ovenproof bowls; top with bread and cheese slices. Broil, 5 1/2 inches from heat, 3 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note