I like many was underwhelmed by the original rate of this recipe. It took a LOT of doctoring to be good. I caramelized the onion, double the thyme, added garlic, worchester sauce, and beef flavor boaster, brandy, and tripled the wine. After ALL that it was great. Try Ina's recipe, it's much better.
French Onion Soup
Once you try this classic French Onion Soup recipes, you'll never try another. It culminates in a rich-tasting soup with melt-in-your-mouth onions.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 290
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 16.8g
- Carbohydrate: 33.4g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 359mg
- Calcium: 317mg
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups thinly vertically sliced Walla Walla or other sweet onion
- 4 cups thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 8 cups less-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 8 (1-ounce) slices French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 (1-ounce) slices reduced-fat, reduced-sodium Swiss cheese (such as Alpine Lace)
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in sugar, pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium; cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high, and sauté for 5 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Stir in wine, and cook for 1 minute. Add broth and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place bread in a single layer on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until toasted, turning after 1 minute.
- Place 8 ovenproof bowls on a jelly-roll pan. Ladle 1 cup soup into each bowl. Divide bread evenly among bowls; top each serving with 1 cheese slice. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews