French Onion Soup
Yield: Makes 4 cups; 3 or 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 265
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Protein: 11g
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Sodium: 430mg
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Caramelized onions
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cans (14 oz. each) fat-skimmed chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (3 in. each)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices baguette (about 2 by 4 in. and 1 in. thick)
- 1/4 cup shredded gruyère cheese
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir onions and balsamic vinegar often until liquid is evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 2. Add broth, thyme, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally to blend flavors, 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Meanwhile, place baguette slices in a single layer on a 12- by 15-inch baking sheet. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until lightly browned on top, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn slices over and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- 4. Remove thyme and bay leaf; ladle soup into bowls. Serve with toasts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This