I adored this! To the other previous reviewer...sometimes simple is best. If you are looking to make a Philly cheesesteak you should do a search for that!
French Onion Melt
Photo: David Prince; Styling: Linda Hirst
More From Coastal Living
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 small sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded or sliced Jarlsberg, Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- 4 (1/2-inch-thick) diagonally cut French bread slices
- Butter, softened
- 1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until dark golden brown. Stir in salt and next 3 ingredients.
- 2. Place 1/4 cup cheese on each of 2 bread slices. Top each evenly with half of onion mixture. Top each with 1/4 cup cheese. Top with remaining 2 bread slices.
- 3. Spread outside of sandwiches with softened butter. Cook in a nonstick skillet over medium heat 2 minutes on each side or until cheese melts and bread is golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note