- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 15 cups sliced yellow onion (about 4 pounds)
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Honeycrisp or Pink Lady apple, peeled, quartered, and cut into julienne strips
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine or dry sherry
- 6 cups lower-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 10 (1/2-ounce) slices sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Thyme leaves (optional)
- calories 254
- fat 11 g
- satfat 6.4 g
- monofat 3.1 g
- polyfat 0.7 g
- protein 11.1 g
- carbohydrate 29.2 g
- fiber 4.1 g
- cholesterol 33 mg
- iron 1.1 mg
- sodium 426 mg
- calcium 278 mg
How to Make It
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Continue cooking 50 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add pepper, apple, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves; cook 3 minutes or until apples soften. Add wine; cook 2 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add broth and cider; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Discard bay leaves; stir in vinegar.
Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a jelly-roll pan; broil 2 minutes or until toasted, turning after 1 minute.
Preheat oven to 500°.
Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 10 ovenproof soup bowls. Divide the croutons evenly among bowls, and top each serving with about 3 tablespoons cheese. Place bowls on jelly-roll pan. Bake at 500° for 8 minutes or until cheese melts. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.