French Market Beignets
Yield: Makes 2 1/2 dozen
- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- Sifted powdered sugar
- Combine yeast and warm water in a 2-cup liquid measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine yeast mixture, evaporated milk, and next 3 ingredients. Gradually stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface; knead 5 or 6 times. Roll dough into a 15- x 12 1/2-inch rectangle; cut into 2 1/2-inch squares.
- Pour oil to depth of 3 to 4 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Fry 3 or 4 beignets at a time, 1 minute on each side or until golden. Drain; sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note