- 2 pounds haricots vert (small, thin green beans), trimmed
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
How to Make It
Cook beans in a small amount of boiling salted water 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain and set aside.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion, and sauté until tender. Add orange rind and juice, and cook until liquid is almost evaporated. Add beans, and stir gently until thoroughly heated. Stir in basil. Season to taste with salt.
Note: You can use other types of green beans in this recipe. Just pick out the more slender beans and increase the cooking time to 12 to 15 minutes.