To the previous reviewer: I'm sorry, but who in their right mind would consider a salad with poached eggs and bacon to be a side dish? Please don't knock the recipe because of your own ignorance. Friseee salad is served as a light main dish, typically with a few pieces of crusty bread. This was a good interpretation of the classic.
French Frisée Salad with Bacon and Poached Eggs
Also known as curly endive, frisée is a slightly bitter green with crisp, lacy leaves. If you can't find it, substitute a salad blend with frisée or radicchio. Put water on to boil while the croutons toast.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 2 Minutes
- Calories: 344
- Fat: 23.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 12.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 14.5g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 2.3g
- Cholesterol: 227mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 765mg
- Calcium: 101mg
- 4 (1-ounce) slices rye bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 slices applewood-smoked bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head frisÃ©e, torn (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet; bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until toasted, turning once. Cool.
- 3. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings; set bacon aside. Combine 1 tablespoon drippings, white wine vinegar, and next 4 ingredients (through ground pepper) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add croutons, bacon, and frisée, tossing to coat. Place 2 cups salad mixture on each of 4 plates.
- 4. Add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer. Add white vinegar. Break eggs into pan; cook 3 minutes or until desired degree of doneness. Carefully remove eggs from pan using a slotted spoon; top each serving with 1 poached egg. Sprinkle with cracked pepper, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note