Potatoes cut into strips are the crispiest of the potato shapes.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 4 pounds russet or Idaho potatoes, peeled
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch-wide strips.
- Pour vegetable oil to a depth of 4 inches in a Dutch oven, and heat to 325°. Fry potato strips, in batches, until lightly golden, but not brown, 4 to 5 minutes per batch. Drain strips on paper towels.
- Heat oil to 375°. Fry strips, in small batches, until golden brown and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes per batch. Drain on clean paper towels. Sprinkle with salt, and serve immediately.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Wesson vegetable oil.
- Crinkle-Cut Fries: Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch-wide strips with a waffle cutter. Fry as directed.
- Waffle Chips: Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices with a waffle cutter. Fry as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note