- 1 medium Vidalia or other sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons salt-free onion and herb seasoning blend, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 12 ounces very thinly sliced low-sodium deli roast beef (such as Boar's Head)
- 4 (2 1/2-ounce) hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- 4 (0.8-ounce) slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese, torn in half
- calories 395
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- fat 10 g
- satfat 4.5 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 37.4 g
- carbohydrate 42.2 g
- fiber 2.7 g
- cholesterol 46 mg
- iron 2.4 mg
- sodium 683 mg
- calcium 219 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 500°.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat; add onion. Coat onion with cooking spray; stir in 1/2 teaspoon seasoning blend. Sauté 11 to 12 minutes or until onion is tender and golden brown. While onion cooks, add 2 tablespoons water at a time; cook each time until liquid evaporates, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
While onion cooks, combine broth and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning blend in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat until hot. Remove pan from heat; add beef, pushing beef down into liquid until covered. Let stand 5 minutes.
While beef stands, place hoagie rolls, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Bake at 500° for 4 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted.
Remove beef from broth, allowing excess broth to drip back into pan; reserve broth. Arrange beef evenly over bottom halves of rolls; top evenly with onion, cheese slices, and remaining bread halves. Serve with warm broth for dipping.