From More With Less - Mennonote Cook Book
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 package(s) Dry Yeast
- 1/2 cup(s) Warm Water (100 Deg F)
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) Sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) Sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) Vegetable Oil
- 2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 cup(s) Water Boiling
- 1 cup(s) Water Cold
- 1 eggs Beaten
- 2 tablespoon(s) milk
- 8 1/2 cup(s) Bread Flour
- Preheat Oven to 400 Deg. F.
- Dissolve yeast, warm water, and sugar. Combine 2T sugar, vegeteble oil, salt, boiling water ( I usually add one cup boiling water, mix well, and then add one cup cool water to cool it off quicker).
- Cool to lukewarm and add yeast mixture. Stir in 8 to 8 1/2 cups flour (bread flour makes it lighter)
- Knead 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, turning once. Let rise until doubled. Punch down and let rest 15 mionutes. Divide dough in half. On floured surface, roll each half to a 12 x 15 " rectangle. Roll up, starting at 15" edge. Place loaves on greased cookie sheets and make 4 or 5 slashes diagonally across tops. Let rise until double.
- Mix and brush on the egg and milk. Sprinkle on, if desired, poppy or sesame seeds.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ZacAndAmber and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
French Bread Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breads