excellent flavors and easy to make. nice combination with brown basmati rice.
Fragrant Red Lentils with Rice
This red lentils and rice recipe calls for a fragrant blend of seasonings and herbs. Garam masala is an Indian blend of dry-roasted, ground spices that includes up to a dozen different flavors ranging from cinnamon to fennel to black pepper; it can be found with other spices in many large supermarkets or speciality food shops.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 409
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 9.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 20.6g
- Carbohydrate: 63.4g
- Fiber: 9.5g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 6.6mg
- Sodium: 427mg
- Calcium: 104mg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dried small red lentils
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon seeded minced jalapeño pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 1/2 cups hot cooked brown basmati or brown rice
- 5 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add diced onion, and sauté 6 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Add the ginger and next 5 ingredients (ginger though bay leaves), and sauté for 1 minute. Add 3 cups water, lentils, and salt, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until lentils are tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and jalapeño; sauté 5 minutes. Add to the lentil mixture; stir in juice, cilantro, and garam masala.
- Place 1/2 cup rice into each of 5 shallow bowls; spoon 3/4 cup lentil mixture over rice. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon yogurt.
- Note: Because jalapeño peppers can vary in heat intensity, you may wish to adjust the amount used based on your own preference for hot and spicy foods.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note