Four-pepper Baked Chicken
Mickey Strang of McKinleyville, California, has been a frequent Sunset contributor since 1946. Healthful cooking is not a fad to her. "Once you pass 60, how you've eaten shows up more and more in how good you feel," she says. "My husband and I eat fairly low-fat; I think that's one reason we're as spry and energetic as we are."
More From Sunset
- Calories: 514
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 37g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 5.6g
- Carbohydrate: 58g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Sodium: 462mg
- Cholesterol: 138mg
- 1 each red, green, and yellow bell pepper (1 1/4 lb. total)
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (1 1/4 lb.), fat trimmed
- 1 can (7 oz.) whole green chilies, cut lengthwise into 8 equal pieces
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 to 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 475°. Stem and seed bell peppers and thinly slice lengthwise. Place in a 9- by 13-inch baking dish and bake until tinged brown, about 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, trim fat from chicken, fold together the halves of each thigh to make a neat bundle, then wrap each with a chili piece.
- 3. Place chicken bundles on top of bell peppers; bake for 15 minutes. Smoothly blend sour cream with cornstarch and spoon over bundles. Continue to bake until chicken is no longer pink in center (cut to test), about 8 minutes.
- 4. Broil chicken 3 inches from heat until sour cream is speckled brown, about 2 minutes. Lift chicken and vegetables to a platter or to 4 individual plates; pour pan juices into a small pitcher. Serve chicken with hot cooked rice and pan juices. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note