I found the recipe for this cake out of a Southern Living 2000 Annual Recipes book. It is a wonderful cake, although time consuming. The amounts in this online recipe are incorrect. It should be five (5) large eggs instead of five CUPS large eggs. In the book it also only calls for 1/2 cup butter or margarine instead of 1 and 1/2 cups butter or margarine. The coconut extract is the correct amount and I don't remember it having too strong of a coconut taste. The filling takes longer than 12 to 15 minutes to thicken up enough we always end up leaving it on there awhile longer. If it doesn't thicken enough it won't stay between the layers. It should have a pudding consistency. The cake tastes delicious. However, I have struggled to keep all of the layers together as they want to slide around. I have resorted to layering the cake in a large decorative bowl, especially if I make it to just eat at home.
Four-Layer Coconut Cake
Coconut shavings can be purchased in the bulk section of your local health food store or dried fruit section in the supermarket.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
Cool: 1 Hour, 10 Minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 1 (6-oz.) package frozen flaked coconut, thawed
- 1 cup coconut shavings
- Coconut Filling
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Beat first 6 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Add extracts, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Stir in flaked coconut. Pour batter into 4 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks, and let cool 1 hour or until completely cool.
- 3. Meanwhile, reduce oven temperature to 350°. Arrange coconut shavings in a single layer in a shallow pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Spread Coconut Filling between layers, leaving a 1-inch border. Beat whipping cream at high speed until foamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Spread on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle toasted coconut on top and sides of cake, pressing gently to adhere.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings
Food & Wine