This was kind of a pain to make but the flavor was great and we really enjoyed it!
Four Citrus-Herb Chicken
More From Cooking Light
Total: 5 Hours, 30 Minutes
- Calories: 369
- Fat: 17.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 11.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 30.7g
- Carbohydrate: 24.2g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Cholesterol: 92mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 473mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 2 large limes
- 1 large ruby red grapefruit
- 1 large tangerine
- 1 large navel orange
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced serrano chile
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Grate 1 teaspoon rind and squeeze 5 tablespoons juice from limes. Place rind and 4 tablespoons juice in a medium bowl; place the remaining 1 tablespoon juice in a separate medium bowl. Grate 1 teaspoon grapefruit rind; section grapefruit. Grate 1 teaspoon tangerine rind; section tangerine. Grate 1 teaspoon orange rind; section orange. Add citrus sections to 1 tablespoon lime juice in bowl; set aside. Add rinds to lime rind mixture. Add 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, and chile to rind mixture; stir with a whisk.
- 2. Place chicken, breast side down, on a cutting board. Using poultry shears, cut along both sides of backbone, and open chicken like a book. Turn chicken breast side up; using the heel of your hand, press firmly against the breastbone until it cracks. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Discard backbone and skin. Place chicken on a rimmed baking sheet. Spread citrus rind mixture evenly over chicken. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- 3. Position oven rack in lower third of oven. Preheat broiler to high.
- 4. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Broil chicken, breast side down, 20 minutes. Turn chicken over; broil an additional 20 minutes or until done, turning pan occasionally. Let stand 10 minutes.
- 5. Combine reserved citrus section mixture, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, red onion, mint, and cilantro; toss to combine.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note