I can't believe that this recipe hasn't been reviewed yet -- it's awesome! I've made it several times each summer since the original printing in Sunset. :) I usually mix & match berries, depending on what's available, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries. And I serve with unsweetened whipped cream -- can't go wrong with this one!
Foris Vineyards Winery Berry-Port Cake
Notes: For the cake, mile-high bakers need to increase flour to 1 1/4 cups, reduce sugar to 3/4 cup, and reduce baking powder to 3/4 teaspoon.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 310
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Protein: 3.6g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 200mg
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- 1/2 cup blackberries, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup raspberries, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup port wine
- About 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- About 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine, at room temperature
- About 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream
- 1. In a bowl, gently mix blackberries, 1/2 cup raspberries, port, and 1 tablespoon sugar.
- 2. Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan with removable rim.
- 3. In a bowl with a mixer on high speed, beat 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter until well blended, 2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs and beat until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4. Add 1 cup flour and baking powder. Stir to combine, then beat on high speed until the stiff batter is well blended, about 2 minutes.
- 5. Scrape batter into cake pan and spread top smooth. Drain wine marinade from berries and save. Evenly spoon berries and 2 tablespoons of the marinade over batter.
- 6. Bake in a 350° oven until cake begins to pull from pan rim, 50 to 55 minutes (40 to 45 minutes in a convection oven). Run a thin-bladed knife between cake and pan rim. Let cool at least 10 minutes.
- 7. Remove pan rim and sprinkle cake with a little more sugar. Top with remaining raspberries, cut into wedges, and moisten portions with reserved wine marinade. Accompany with scoops of ice cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This