At last no more weeping! This is the best recipe I've tried in many a long year. I mistakenly used all of the sugar and the cornflour in the filling, which set absolutely perfectly, if not a little sweet, the set was solid and strong. Did stand stirring all of the required minutes and if not a little more time. The meringue was outstanding, kept the height, and DID NOT WEEP! Not one little tear under the entire pastry. Used the more cornflour and sugar as required OUTSTANDING RECIPE, THANK YOU. I'm keeping this under wraps for the next local show cooking comp :).
Foolproof Lemon Meringue Pie
This no-fail lemon meringue pie is the dessert recipe to choose when you need a great pie. Making a meringue has never been so easy.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 367
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Protein: 4.7g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 62g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 207mg
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Baked 9-inch pie crust
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan, mix 1 1/4 cups sugar with 6 tablespoons cornstarch and salt. Whisk in 1/2 cup cold water, lemon peel, and lemon juice, blending thoroughly. Whisk in the egg yolks. Add the butter and whisk in 1 1/2 cups boiling water.
- 2. Set pan over medium-high heat and stir with a flexible spatula until mixture boils, about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir filling 1 minute more.
- 3. Pour filling into pie crust.
- 4. In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup sugar with the remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch.
- 5. In a deep bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with a mixer on high speed (use whisk attachment if available) until very foamy and no liquid whites remain in bottom of bowl. Continue to beat at high speed and gradually add the sugar-starch mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time. Then beat until whites hold stiff, glossy peaks.
- 6. Spoon meringue onto hot pie filling. With a spatula, swirl meringue to cover filling completely, touching the rim of the pie shell.
- 7. Bake in a 325° oven until meringue is browned, about 25 minutes. Set pie on rack until cool, about 3 hours. Serve, or invert a large bowl over pie (take care not to touch meringue) and chill up to 1 day.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts