this recipe is atrocious. they didn't say that pouring boiling water into an egg yolk mix will cook the eggs, they didn't say that the filling has to be almost thick enough to cut with a knife, and they didn't say that it's going to taste like a storebought pudding. This thing is runny, tastes like egg with no degree of tartness, and I've got company coming in two hours and no dessert. Do I sound angry? Never again will I try recipes from self-proclaimed experts who couldn't cook their way out of a wet sack.This is crap.
Foolproof Lemon Meringue Pie
This no-fail lemon meringue pie is the dessert recipe to choose when you need a great pie. Making a meringue has never been so easy.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 367
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Protein: 4.7g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 62g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 207mg
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Baked 9-inch pie crust
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan, mix 1 1/4 cups sugar with 6 tablespoons cornstarch and salt. Whisk in 1/2 cup cold water, lemon peel, and lemon juice, blending thoroughly. Whisk in the egg yolks. Add the butter and whisk in 1 1/2 cups boiling water.
- 2. Set pan over medium-high heat and stir with a flexible spatula until mixture boils, about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir filling 1 minute more.
- 3. Pour filling into pie crust.
- 4. In a small bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup sugar with the remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch.
- 5. In a deep bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with a mixer on high speed (use whisk attachment if available) until very foamy and no liquid whites remain in bottom of bowl. Continue to beat at high speed and gradually add the sugar-starch mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time. Then beat until whites hold stiff, glossy peaks.
- 6. Spoon meringue onto hot pie filling. With a spatula, swirl meringue to cover filling completely, touching the rim of the pie shell.
- 7. Bake in a 325° oven until meringue is browned, about 25 minutes. Set pie on rack until cool, about 3 hours. Serve, or invert a large bowl over pie (take care not to touch meringue) and chill up to 1 day.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note