Fontina, Spinach, and Onion Crêpes
Notes: If making up to 1 day ahead, cover and chill; bake uncovered.
Yield: Makes 4 main-dish servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 532
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 30g
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated fat: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Sodium: 838mg
- Cholesterol: 204mg
- About 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 onions (1 lb. total), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 cups shredded fontina cheese (3/4 lb.)
- 8 thin crêpes (6 or 7 in.)
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium heat, combine 1 tablespoon butter, onions, caraway, and 1/2 cup water. Cover and stir occasionally until onions are very limp, 10 to 15 minutes (add a few more tablespoons water if liquid evaporates before onions are ready), then uncover and stir often until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat.
- 2. Squeeze excess liquid from spinach. Mix spinach with onions. Add 2 1/2 cups of the cheese and salt to taste; mix well.
- 3. Lay crêpes slightly apart on a counter, pale side up. Spoon equal amounts of spinach filling down center of crêpes; roll to enclose.
- 4. Set filled crêpes, seams down and side by side, in a buttered shallow 3-quart casserole (9 by 13 in.).
- 5. Bake in a 375° regular oven or 350° convection oven until hot in center, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese in a band down center of crêpes. Return to oven and bake until cheese melts, about 3 minutes. With a wide spatula, transfer crêpes to plates. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch