This is my go-to brunch standby. Total crowd pleaser every time I bring it to an event - very easy to make, I use the rustric whole grain bread from Costco and it stands up well to the soupy mixture. If you like savory this is your recipe!
Fontina and Parmesan Mushroom Bread Pudding
Photo: Howard L. Puckett; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 316
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Fat: 12.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 18.9g
- Carbohydrate: 36.7g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 131mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 696mg
- Calcium: 228mg
- 6 cups (1-inch) cubed sturdy 100% whole wheat bread (about 12 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Place bread cubes on a jelly-roll pan; coat with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning twice. Remove from oven; cool.
- 3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms; sauté 12 minutes or until lightly browned and moisture evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- 4. Place half of bread cubes in bottom of an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange mushroom mixture evenly over bread cubes; sprinkle with 1/2 cup fontina and 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Top with remaining bread cubes. Combine milk, broth, and eggs, stirring with a whisk; pour over bread mixture. Gently press with back of a spoon; let stand 30 minutes. Top with remaining 1/2 cup fontina and remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 6 squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch