- 6 cups (1-inch) cubed sturdy 100% whole wheat bread (about 12 ounces)
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- calories 316
- caloriesfromfat 34 %
- fat 12.1 g
- satfat 5.1 g
- monofat 3.4 g
- polyfat 0.8 g
- protein 18.9 g
- carbohydrate 36.7 g
- fiber 4.8 g
- cholesterol 131 mg
- iron 2.6 mg
- sodium 696 mg
- calcium 228 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place bread cubes on a jelly-roll pan; coat with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly toasted, turning twice. Remove from oven; cool.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and mushrooms; sauté 12 minutes or until lightly browned and moisture evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper.
Place half of bread cubes in bottom of an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange mushroom mixture evenly over bread cubes; sprinkle with 1/2 cup fontina and 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Top with remaining bread cubes. Combine milk, broth, and eggs, stirring with a whisk; pour over bread mixture. Gently press with back of a spoon; let stand 30 minutes. Top with remaining 1/2 cup fontina and remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 6 squares.