- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 package active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces), divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- Remaining ingredients:
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, coarsely chopped
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
- calories 341
- caloriesfromfat 29 %
- fat 10.9 g
- satfat 5 g
- monofat 3.7 g
- polyfat 1.4 g
- protein 14.6 g
- carbohydrate 47.3 g
- fiber 4.5 g
- cholesterol 27 mg
- iron 2.9 mg
- sodium 502 mg
- calcium 186 mg
How to Make It
To prepare dough, dissolve honey and yeast in 1 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, salt, and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper to yeast mixture; stir until a soft dough forms.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until soft and elastic (about 6 minutes); add enough of remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to keep dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel slightly sticky). Knead in fresh basil just until incorporated. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 40 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
Roll dough into a 12-inch circle (about 1/4 inch thick) on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a rimless baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough with fingers to form a rim. Lightly spray surface of dough with cooking spray; cover with plastic wrap. Place dough in refrigerator.
Position one oven rack in the middle setting. Position another rack in the lowest setting, and place a rimless baking sheet on the bottom rack. Preheat oven to 500°.
Remove plastic wrap from dough; discard. Remove preheated baking sheet from oven; close oven door. Slide dough onto preheated baking sheet, using a spatula as a guide. Bake on lowest oven rack at 500° for 8 minutes.
Arrange tomato slices on paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels; let stand 5 minutes.
Sprinkle fontina over crust, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Arrange tomato slices and olives over fontina; sprinkle with mozzarella. Top with pine nuts. Bake on middle rack an additional 8 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese melts. Garnish with cracked pepper, if desired. Cut into 12 wedges.